It’s been a few weeks since we launched our new recipe app, Meal Makeovers. We hope those of you who’ve downloaded it—it’s available on iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch—are using it in good health! On this week’s Cooking with the Moms radio podcast, we tell you all about the app, and we share our latest app and blog recipe for Autumn Apple Quinoa Salad. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s nutritious thanks to the quinoa, apples, walnuts, dried cranberries, and Cheddar cheese as well as versatile (serve it as a lunch box or dinner side dish), gluten free, and incredibly delicious.
You can find our Autumn Apple Quinoa Salad on our new recipe app, Meal Makeovers!
Quinoa is often referred to as an ancient grain, but technically, it’s a seed. It’s gluten free, and we love it in this simple side dish recipe made with apples, walnuts, cranberries, and Cheddar cheese. Read on for the recipe as well as our tried-and-true technique for cooking up fluffy (not mushy) quinoa.
Makes 6 Servings
Every autumn, our kids go crazy over all the crisp, delicious apples available at the farmers? market. Snacking on apples is easy—just slice ?em up and enjoy—but sometimes it?s nice to use them in recipes like this easy side dish. Check out all the great nutrition per serving: almost 1 gram of heart-healthy omega-3 fat, 8 grams protein, and 3 grams fiber.
1. Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse very well several times under cold running water. Drain well. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the quinoa in the skillet and ?toast,? stirring frequently, until the quinoa is dry and gives off a nutty aroma, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the water or broth in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the ?toasted? quinoa and stir well. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy, 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
3. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and fluff gently with a fork every few minutes until the grains cool.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined. Set aside.
5. Gently stir the cheese, apples, walnuts, and cranberries into the quinoa. Stir in the dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To learn more about our Meal Makeovers app, check out the description in the iTunes store. And for more quinoa recipes, scroll down for links to some of our other creations …